I am Not My Hair

As I read some post regarding natural hair versus weaved hair, I can't help to think about the song by soul artist India Arie titled "I am Not My Hair". In the song Ms. Arie explains what I do to my hair is not who I am on the inside, I agree, far too many times we judge people based on their outside appearance versus how they are on the inside.  Leading us to make inappropriate judgment calls, I for one have worn my hair natural, relaxed, weaved, braids and so, how I wear my hair weighs on what I believe looks good on me, not on what the public believes how I should look. People should look at each others personalities not how their hair looks, I have found rudeness in both people that wear natural and weaved hair. I have also found low self-worth in both hair types, it's not the hair that makes the person genuine or more self-aware it's the connection within themselves and their awareness and understanding of the world around them. Black women throughout time have been one of the most versatile, copied and fashion-forward women on the earth, its time for us to start celebrating our versatility and not attempt to box our outward energy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Compromising vs. Settling

Civil Rights and Multicultural Cooperation

9th Wonder - Beat 48 (Bladey Mae) [Extended]